Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas at the Hoarder's home (or I live in a flea market)

I went to the basement to get our tree and decorations and just could not dig my way into the closet.  I  posted before that I am having a Scrooge like season, and having trouble getting in the right frame of mind for holiday events, so you might think this was just more of that, but there was literally a bookshelf and a ladder wedged in front of our storage door and a wall of crates inside after I opened the door.
We have been working on a little shop since September and it has become a huge project.  I never knew.
We were going to auctions before that and liked going...I love a bargain.  But our little townhouse is full up with stuff we haven't had time to price or tag.  Good stuff bought cheap but if we don't stop we will drown in it.
I told Jim I don't want to go to the auction until after Christmas at least.  We have been three times since then.  He is addicted to going and once I am there I just can't resist bidding.  Who wouldn't buy a flat of old English tea cups and saucers for a dollar?  I think I need a twelve step program!
Anyway,I started to move the crates until I could see that behind that was a stack of something else that wasn't Christmas.  
Many years ago, when Jim and I were dating, I bought him a tiny two foot tree, and decorated it.  He never bothered with a tree.  It has been on top of a bookshelf in the basement, fully decorated, for all this time.  So...
Our tree is up!   It is two feet tall and with one string of lights and some simple decorations supplemented by auction stuff that I could get to easily.  It was up in under 10 minutes, and it only took that long because I had to clear a space for it on top of the pedestals to a table we don't have room for yet in the shop.
It works for this year.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. That is the perfect tree! I might even put up a tree if I had one like that. And a shop? Please tell more. My folks used to attend auctions all the time and got some wonderful things for little money.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darla, we have an auction house 2 miles from us and every Wednesday they sell people's treasures. We started buying a few things for us, a table, a dresser....then, we got my sister an oak china cabinet...for 35 dollars! We bought a bunch of little things, and were running out of room so we got a booth at a little antique mall. So far we have paid the rent with what we sell, but we are in the hole on what we buy to put in there. Know anyone who needs a huge maple drop leaf table that needs the top refinished? I wish we had a garage....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You kept Christmas simple like I did!
    Hubby surprised me with 2 weeks in Hawaii! We are there now :) he says we are celebrating our upcoming 25th anniversary :)
    Hope your etsy shop is doing well!

    ReplyDelete